Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pencil: Free 2D Animation Software

I'm sorry for not updating the last few days, I got busy at home and I'm planning to start posting video games information and gameplay videos, mostly indie games because my computer probably won't be able to run the most of the latest pc games.

Anyway enough of that, it's time to introduce to you a great software I found a while back, it's called Pencil.


If you want to learn how to draw anime, then at some point in time you might want to learn how to animate your drawings. This is the perfect application to get your hands on. Pencil is a free 2d animation software. It's very bare bone and perfect for beginners. The user interface is very easy to use and everything you need to animate is already laid out.




I actually use this software a lot, even though I'm still a beginner I try to familiarize myself with the process of animation. Pencil has both bitmap and vector layers meaning you can do vector animations and traditional hand drawn animations.



As you can see, the interface is very straight forward. I made a simple bouncing ball animation which is a good way practice. Pencil has onion skin functions which allows you to see what's in between the frame you're working on. Go ahead and try it out, it's free and it has a great community. You can find a lot of guides and tutorials in the official forum.

You can download it on the official site.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I know how to draw, but I want to improve it for more. I think this software will help me a lot. Thanks for sharing.

    Cris | 2D Animation Philippines

    ReplyDelete